Sunday, March 14, 2010

Running in the Rain (Or why I am a hardcore runner)

So I woke up this morning at 6:45 (after successfully changing my clocks before going to sleep!) and peeked outside to see that it was pouring....and windy....and the kind of day that makes you want to just stay in bed. I checked the computer to see the forecast, and pretty much just saw this icon...for the whole day.

I'll be honest, I almost went back to sleep, I was pretty close. And then I remembered that the Boston Marathon is only a little over a month away and that training days are precious. So I dragged myself out of bed and headed over to Tufts for the weekly long run.

When I got there, I was impressed, about 30 other people had also managed to drag themselves to the run. The rain had mostly stopped and so off we went. For about 10 minutes, I thought it might be ok. And then...it began to pour again. Very quickly I was soaked....likely dripping wet, squishy shoes soaked. But there was nothing to do but continue on. And so, thanks to the support of my running buddy Ann, we finished our 14 mile run, battling the rain, the wind, the puddles of questionably clean water and drivers which seemed to think it was really fun to splash the poor runners.

As we sloshed our way through the rainy streets, Ann and I decided that having showed up this morning for the run made us hardcore runners. After all, a lot of people would decide to stay inside on a day like today, or cut the run short, but not us. And I'll say, while it wasn't the most fun run ever, it gave me a pretty good sense of accomplishment, that I could battle the elements as well as the usual sore muscles and tiredness. While I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed that Marathon Day weather is not like today, at least I'll have experience running in the cold rain if it comes to that!

And remember, if you want to support your favorite hardcore marathon runner, you can do so at http://www.tuftsmarathonchallenge.com/runners/miriamst. All money goes to a great cause-research to fight childhood and adolescent obesity. Even if you can only give $10, every little bit helps!

No comments: